Concealed Carry

With the passing of House Bill 40, qualified Kentucky residents are allowed to conceal & carry deadly weapons as of October 1, 1996.


The Kentucky State Police are in-charge of issuing a Concealed Carry Permit to carry a Concealed Deadly Weapon.  Our job is to take an application for a permit from a Union County resident & verify his/her completion certificate of the required training from a qualified training instructor along with the payment of necessary fees & take a photograph of the applicant and forward that information to the Kentucky State Police. Then, in approximately 3-5 weeks when the Kentucky State Police issue a permit they notify the applicant via mail & the applicant can pick-up his/her permit in our office during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. M-F).

As of July 12, 2006, in accordance with House Bill 290 and the changes it made to KRS 237.110, anyone applying for a CCDW license or renewal must be a citizen of the United States. Therefore, applicants will need to fill out & sign a Citizenship Affidavit declaring citizenship to the United States, which will be attached to the application.

Another change that was made to KRS 237.110 states that of the $60 application fee, $40 of it must be a check or money order made payable to the Department of State Police, and any application submitted to the KSP that does not have the $40 fee with it will be returned unprocessed. The remaining $20 of the $60 application fee can be cash, check, or money order made out to the Union County Sheriff’s Office.


For more on House Bill 290, click the following link: