Vehicle Inspections

One of the primary responsibilities of the Sheriff's office is the inspection of vehicles licensed in the state of Kentucky.


Kentucky law requires all vehicles purchased in another state to be inspected by the Sheriff in the county where the vehicle is to be licensed.


An out-of-state inspection is only required when a vehicle is brought into Kentucky from another state or purchased in another state, and whereas the owner is going to reside in Union County, and would like to obtain a Union County license plate. Your vehicle must comply with the provisions of KRS Chapter 189 pertaining to vehicle equipment. Simply put, your vehicle must be in a safe condition for operation upon the highway & capable of transporting both persons and contents in a safe manner. This would include, but not limited to, the brakes, steering, headlights, rear lights, brake lights, & turn signals being in place and fully operable. Additionally, all window glass must be in place & the vehicle must be equipped with operable front windshield wipers.


A Union County Deputy Sheriff, certified in vehicle inspections, will check the vehicle identification number (VIN) & compare it with the number on the Title or Certificate of Origin. This information, along with the vehicle’s mileage, is recorded on a Kentucky Application for Certificate of Title/Registration Form. You must take this completed form to the County Clerk to obtain your Kentucky license plate. The inspector may also check the vehicle for all safety features, including lights, wipers, horn, turn signals, glass, brakes, etc.


The fee for an inspection is $5.00 cash or check only - sorry, no credit cards. The fee is $15.00 if for some reason an inspector needs to come to you.


What do I need to Bring?

  1. Vehicle Title

  2. Your Drivers License

  3. $5.00 or $15.00 respectively (cash or check only)

  4. Application for KY Title

  5. Insurance Card


Please note: The above requirements apply primarily to automobiles, trucks, & motorcycles that have been in good working condition, considered roadworthy under KRS, and have been previously registered in another state.

Please call any of the following numbers with questions about salvage titles, golf carts, scooters, trailers, mopeds, etc. as often there are specific requirements for specific vehicles that fall outside of the usual out-of-state transfer and registration.

Golf Cart Inspections

Click Here for Golf Cart Check List